If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (706) 549-1933

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

5 Winter Fire Damage Risks and Expert Advice For Prevention

11/28/2022 (Permalink)

Fire damage caused by a burning candle in the winter time. The professionals at SERVPRO are available 24/7 for fire damage services!

Understanding winter fire damage will help you take the necessary steps to prevent risk in your home.

According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), winter fires peak from December to February. So with December right around the corner, we wanted our customers to know the top five winter fire risks and what you can do to prevent them.

The winter season is when people use more heaters and candles and turn to their ovens to cook a holiday meal. Unfortunately, using more heating agents will increase the chances of a winter home fire.

We understand that fire damage does not only cause a physical and emotional toll but can also present a daunting recovery process. Therefore, let SERVPRO of Barrow County face the fire damage restoration of your property with our professional equipment and knowledge; we’ll make it “Like it never even happened.”

Common causes of winter fire damage

As we head into the winter season, make sure you’re aware of the five most common causes of winter fire damage:

  1. Cooking accidents
  2. Candles left burning
  3. Space heaters
  4. Electrical wiring problems
  5. Christmas lights

These causes can result in significant fire damage and loss if not adequately monitored and mitigated. That’s why it’s essential to take steps to prevent them from happening in the first place.

Preventing cooking accidents

To prevent an accidental kitchen fire this winter, you must never leave your food unattended while cooking. According to the NFPA, two-thirds of home cooking fires started when food or other materials were too close to a heat source. So stay in the kitchen while cooking; turn off the stove if you have to leave the kitchen for any reason.

Preventing candle fires

Candles often make a home feel cozy during the winter months. However, they can be a fire hazard if they are not used properly. 

You should always place candles on a stable, heat-resistant surface where they will not be knocked over. In addition, keep them away from anything that can catch fire such as curtains, books, and clothing. Also, blow out candles before leaving the room or going to bed. And, if you have children or pets, it’s best to avoid using candles altogether.

Preventing space heater fires

Space heaters are a common way to stay warm during the winter months, but they can be a fire hazard if not used properly. When using a space heater, keep it away from anything that can catch fire such as curtains, furniture, and clothing. In addition, space heaters should never be left unattended. It’s also a good idea to use a space heater with an automatic shut-off feature if it tips over.

Preventing electrical wiring fires

One of the most common causes of winter fires is electrical wiring problems. To prevent an electrical fire this winter, a professional must check your electrical system regularly. It’s also important to be aware of the signs of electrical problems, such as flickering lights, buzzing sounds, and outlets that feel hot to the touch. Remember, you must call a professional immediately if you notice any of these signs.

Preventing Christmas light fires

Christmas lights are a popular way to decorate for the holidays, but they can be a fire hazard if not used properly. When hanging Christmas lights, only use lights tested for safety by a reputable laboratory. In addition, avoid using damaged or frayed cords. And, if you’re using extension cords, ensure they are rated for the power they will carry. 

Minimize your risk by inspecting your lights before hanging them and replacing any damaged ones. In addition, you prevent accumulated heat from igniting by unplugging your lights when you’re not home and avoiding leaving them on for extended periods. 

Recovering from winter fire damage with SERVPRO of Barrow County

This article addressed the five most common causes of winter fire damage and how you, as a property owner, can prevent them. We hope you understand the importance of not taking winter fire damage lightly—it can result in significant damage and loss. When there is fire damage to your property, hire a fire restoration company that you can trust. With years of experience, SERVPRO of Barrow County is a leader in the fire damage restoration industry. We have the knowledge, experience, and equipment to restore your property to its pre-fire condition.

Our fire damage restoration services include:

  • Board-up and tarp-over services
  • Content pack-out and inventory
  • Content cleaning and restoration
  • Odor removal
  • Smoke and soot removal
  • Debris removal

If you have recently experienced winter fire damage, don’t hesitate to contact SERVPRO of Barrow County. Our highly trained and experienced professional team is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to help restore your property after a winter fire!

Other News

View Recent Posts